Monday, October 25, 2010

Rules for Holy Living and being Thankful

So I've been reading in Ephesians, 1 Timothy, 1 &2 Thessalonians, Colossians, Philippians, and Galatians, and there is so much substance, so much worth reading. Being thankful not vengeful, prayer, living to please God and final instructions. I'm going to list out several verses I have found helpful, insightful, verses that make it worth the time to invest your life in God and to live the way he has called us to live.

Galatians 5: 19 The acts of sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; (20) idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions (21) and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5: 5 For this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person- such a man  an idolater- has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. (6) Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient.

This is hard to grasp. If we keep living day-to-day, sinning without being retentive, we will not go to heaven. I don't know about you, but burning in a lake of fire for all eternity doesn't sound fun. It's not even something to joke about, its serious. We do not know when Jesus will come. It could be tomorrow or the next day, it could be 400 years from now. We don't know when we will die. We do not have the time to waste being sinful. Repent. Turn your life over to God and let him show you how you are to live.

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. (2) Honor your father and mother- which is the first commandment with a promise- (3) that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth. (4) Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. 

This is the 1st commandment. Why is it the hardest to follow? Most kids (in Bible school) when asked if they would murder would be shocked saying that it is wrong it's breaking a commandment. So why do we break the number 1 commandment?! It's number 1, meaning it's important. I cannot cast stones because I did not obey my parents. I was strong willed and I thought they were wrong, every rule was so I would miss out and it was all against me. I still don't know why I couldn't obey all their rules. I guess it's because I never realized what it was like to be a parent. Some of their rules I still don't agree with, but it doesn't mean it was okay for me to do what I wanted anyways. It hurts them and it put a burden on our relationship and their relationship. I just hope I can raise Bella (and what other children I might have in the future) with the knowledge and understanding that its the parents way. I hope I can give her a strong Biblical upbringing.

Philippians 2: 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. (4) Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Philippians 2:14 Do everything without complaining or arguing, (15) so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.

Colossians 3: 5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.
(9) Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with it's practices (10) and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of it's Creator.
(12) Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 

1 Thessalonians 4: 7 For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. (8) Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.
(9) For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.
(11) Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (12) Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you,
(14) And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. (16) Be joyful always, (17) Pray continually, (18) give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.


There is just so much more I could add to this. It is obvious what the Bible is telling us to do. Be good people. Better ourselves and others. Turn away from our sinful nature and live in the light. GIVE THANKS.

Colossians 3(15) Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
(23) Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
Colossians 4: (2) Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
(6) Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. 
Colossians  1: 12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.
(14) in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness if sins.
Philippeans  4:12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. (13) I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (20) To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I love this message! Thank you :) I especially love the scripture 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18.I have this highlighted in my Bible.What awesome advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being thankful is something we all struggle with because we are sooo greedy. We think we NEED so much that we cannot see what we do have.

    ReplyDelete