Friday, October 22, 2010

Do Not Love the World

1 John 2: 15-17  (15)Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (16) For everything in the world-the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does- come not from the Father but from the world. (17) The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

Exodus 20:3-6   (3) "You shall have no other gods before me. (4) You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. (5) You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, (6) but showing love to a thousand  generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Reading these passages, I think when he says in 1 John do not love the world, I don't think he's literally meaning hate everything, hate music, hate dance, hate sports. Those can all lead to opportunities to share Jesus' love and to preach God's word. I believe he really means it in a way of, having no false idols. Don't worship the artist singing that song. Don't make your life all about football- then you forget about God and your true purpose here. 
What are the things in life do you make your idols?? Is it your boyfriend/girlfriend? Is it your job? What is it that takes your eyes off God? What do you make more important than your relationship with your heavenly father?? I know when I was in middle school it was all about boys and music. I went to youth group and loved it, but as soon as I left everything would go back to my idols, the things that I made more important. In high school I was in a very serious relationship, with my now husband, and he was my world. I wanted to have that relationship with Jesus, but I was selfish with my time and I didn't want to give up soccer, or track, or my date nights. My life revolved around things that were not Godly. I now have a relationship with Christ and everyday I work to make it stronger, deeper. I see girls on the TV and they worship Justin Beiber or Brad Pitt. These actors and singers have no idea who you are. I'm not saying its wrong to watch movies and listen to music, I'm saying that if we saw them on the street, we shouldn't start crying and drooling over them.That's making them an idol. I really like music, in fact I love it! I had to figure out my balance though. The music I listened to a few years ago kept me from having a relationship with God, now I listen to music that will bring me closer to God. If I was looking at Jesus face- to - face, I wouldn't be embarrassed or ashamed of what I had on the radio. I really want to meet TobyMac. I don't want to grovel at his feet or marry him. I don't really know him, but when I watched him at his concert or hear his music on the radio it inspires me. It makes me want to know God more. I know I'm not a great writer and I don't always know what to say or how to word it, but I'm trying the best I can. Look at the things in your life that get in the way of a personal realtionship with Christ. Are these your idols? What can you change, and is it worth it to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment