Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dealing with Difficult People

Difficult people come in all shapes and forms and in all walks of life. Difficult people can interfere with you and your walk with Jesus. We need to learn how to identify the difficult people and what we can do to maintain "our cool" because I will be the first to tell you I easily loose my cool. I think partly it from the way I grew up, a lot of yelling and fits of anger. I adapted this as my way to retaliate when someone hurt me or made me angry, or when I didn't understand. I use past tense because that's what I am determined to do. Put those actions in my past. I am trying every day to be slower to anger. I'm trying to remain calm and not retaliate. And it's hard, Oh, it's so hard. When I hear something I don't agree with I want to yell and tell that person how stupid I think what they are saying is, and most of the time it's not my part, or my business to interfere. But my nature is telling me I need to be in control, I know what is best, why won't this person listen to me! In my head and heart and screaming but on the outside I'm keeping my composure (now). I've learned it's no use arguing. There's no point in trying to control the situation, because no matter what, God is on control. God does not tempt us. God allows us to be tempted by sin. He wants us to use the tools he has given us to make the right choices, to overcome sin.  When we are dealing with difficult people we need peace, patience and holiness. We need prayer and we need to understand that we cannot control anyone but ourselves, we need to keep our composure and act morally as God would have us do.

1 Samuel 24:12 May the Lord judge between you and me. And may the Lord avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you. (13) As the old saying goes, 'From evil doers comes evil deeds,' so my hand will not touch you.

Romans 12:9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.(14) Bless those who curse prosecute you. Bless and do not curse. (16) Live in harmony with one another. (17) Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. (18) If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

We can loose our temper or we can remain calm. We cannot control the difficult people nor can we change them.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! I love that Romans Scripture! I'm pretty sure I have that one highlighted too....This is exactly what we talked about today

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep- you inspired me! At our small group it was about how we cannot be in control, God is in control.

    ReplyDelete