Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy Birthday Baby Jesus!

So this Christmas season went well. Christmas Eve we spent with my sisters and my dad and his fiance and ate alot of delicious foods! We had a great lunch with my in-laws and a great dinner with my mom and step-dad. Bella was in overload with all the new toys she got! She kept calling it a birthday party, so we told her it was a birthday party for Baby Jesus, so it's so cute now she talks about baby Jesus and his birthday. She's still too young to quite understand the Jesus-died-for-us concept. But at least she's acknowledging there IS a Jesus. I can be happy with that. Of course she loved everything she got and she told everybody thank you, but it's a struggle trying to find the balance between giving her what she needs and wants. I don't ever want her to be without. She will never be without. But I want her to grow up and understand that it's not about the gifts, the stuff she wants. It's all about Jesus. Our whole life. Our purpose here is to please him, to live for him. We are so consumed with stuff. I know I've been writing about this for a while but it's so important. Stuff won't make us happy. It won't save our souls. It won't get us into heaven. Stuff gets in the way with our walk with Jesus.

Anything and everything can be stuff; our jobs, cars, relationships, toys, food. We are so greedy and it makes us blind to whats important. New cars are a big thing. Everyone wants to have a nice car, top of the line, most expensive, leather interior. It's nice. It makes us happy. But does it really? How long will that car make you happy? You save up and make payments then gripe about how great the newer model is. My mom had nice cars, acuras, hondas, nice cars. We kept them for a short time, then got new ones. My first car was an Acura Mdx. A very nice car. I loved it, but I couldn't wait until I could get a black one. A newer one. I have been through my share of cars, my newest car is an old minivan. We bought it $6,000 cash. No payments.Its great! I love my old beat up minivan- I don't have a cd player and sometimes my windows won't roll up, but I love it. I don't need anything else. I have more than I need. A car that holds a big family, it runs, I have no payments, and best if all it's mine! I still have my wants in other areas, I love to shop and buy new clothes, but not-wanting something is so freeing. I'm not worrying about making payments, I'm not worried about what anybody thinks of it. I love my minivan. And it's one less thing I let get in my way of Jesus. We spend so much of our time trying to get the best, GIMME GIMME GIMME.

I'm hoping I can find that balance for Bella. Help to to be grateful for what she gets, while being able to provide her with more than what she needs. I see alot of service projects in our future! I am happy to say I've made it through another Christmas without being disappointed. I have what I need and want. *We are here to serve God by serving his children in need.*    So again: Happy Birthday Jesus- you have given me everything I need and given me people who graciously have given me everything I want! 

1 comment:

  1. It is so much easier to focus on what is important when we aren't focusing on our wants and what we call our needs. I couldn't be happier with my old, stained carpet, chipped paint vehicle. It is close to being paid for and the only thing I owe money on and that is an awesome feeling. Wastefulness is selfishness. Spoiling is destroying. I am glad you didn't wait until Bella was grown to figure that out:)

    ReplyDelete