Monday, January 3, 2011

Arguing for Christ: how to convince unbelievers?

(DAY 1) I can't say that I can give you a totally convincing argument for Christ, because it is what it is. It's faith. I have faith. I know I cannot, nor will I ever completely understand everything; some people just have the drive and desire for knowledge and if they cannot comprehend it, it must not be. I am in the middle of a "debate" if you will, with someone I graduated with. He is very intelligent, and seems to have no faith. From what I've seen, people that are exceptionally smart miss out on Jesus, they cannot understand it. If evolution and science is what you base your life on, what about the people who accept Jesus and change? Is there any scientific proof that there is a change in their heart? I don't understand science, maybe that's why I can have faith. Today I start my journey; science vs Jesus.

I believe that we were created by God, he created us with free will. We were tempted and we fell, hard. He allows us to have free will. We create sin because people are greedy, needy, nasty, jealous, rebellious, sexually immoral, etc. He sent his son Jesus Christ to die for our sins. He was sinless. He endured the punishment we all deserve. When we ask him for forgiveness he will save us. We will not be perfect. We will still sin, but if we truly want to be forgiven he will change us, it will change our lives and hopefully the lives around us. Judgment day will be a sad day. I would rather live my life knowing Jesus is the Christ, he will be the one to judge us, than to live as if there is no God and find out in the end there is.  (this is what I wrote).

http://www.parentcompany.com/csrc/basics.htm
 
(DAY2)  Okay, so I spent 3 hours in a discussion, (we both decided we wouldn't have a nasty debate). I'm getting frustrated because I'm so passionate about Jesus and what the Bible says and it hurts when someone says I have blind faith. Faith isn't blind.
 OPPOSITION:
I don't really care. I figure my actions speak louder than words. Don't shove it down my throat about God and I won't shove science down their throat, Buddhism, Wiccan, Hinduism, Druidism, hell, even that Scientology. Everyone's entitled to their opinion - oppressing others well that where you get problems. Do good and get good. Simple and easy. If any religion is right and has a benevolent, caring deity - that superpower would probably give more weight to those that better society - not those who cause problems.


I'm starting to believe some people just don't want to believe. They will listen to history and science and take it all in as truth but won't stop to think there are things we just can't understand. That miracles exist, we cannot control everything nor can we create everything. I don't think they will be ever to completely create a human, they may clone one, but they cannot take nothing and create such a complex system. God created Adam out of dirt, what can we make?

 OPPOSITION:
Is it not true that different denominations have different books in their bible? How does it stand to argue for the Bible when there's different ones? I believe the Catholic one has 77. 

The different denominations may have some different beliefs, but the Bible's message is clearly the same. The Catholic Church and Protestant Church do have different Bibles. But between Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, you can use a King James or NIV Bible and it will be the same.  (check out tbm.org  under Bible answers read "Why do Catholics and Protestants have different Bibles?) 

OPPOSITION:
Evolutions can be seen in embryos. Look at conception through birth. You'll notice initially a lot of creatures appear similar through the stages until it divides up into whatever they end up 

In the end they are still birds, right? Evolution and adaptation are two very different things. Evolution thinks we came from apes, adaptation is like a mutation, it helps a species adapt to their changing environment. That's why we have different colored skin, eyes, hair, that's why our bodies are different, it's more now due to people mixing races. But we started out one way, then our bodies changed to fit our climate.


OPPOSITION:
Birds - yes. However, it shows evolution on a small scale. There were no dogs many years ago. Some wolves slowly changed into dogs from human interaction. They're part of the same family but they're different like humans and apes and other hominids. Things take time to change. You can argue that birds are still birds and that we're just hominids.

I'm pretty sure there were pictures of cats and Italian greyhounds (a type of dog) in the Egyptian pyramids. We might not have had all these different types of species we have today, but that's because we like to play God and we interbreed to try and create a more desirable breed.   




Some people think that people who have faith or are part of a religion are weak, they use it as a crutch, I'm here to say "it's my wheel chair" without a "divine being" we are nothing! God created us in his image, he gave us free will. It's up to us to choose him, he chose us already.
"To each their own. I'm not going to argue that it may be comfort for some... but personally, had it been comfort for me, I would have given up my faith a long time ago. "


I can't seem to have the right words at the right time. If I don't completely understand science and philosophy, how can I argue it's wrong?

1 comment:

  1. I was reading this blog with open eyes n it really makes sense.. God bless u.

    ReplyDelete