Monday, December 20, 2010

CHRISTmas to those in need

It is getting close to CHRISTmas, only 4 more long days to go then we will be laying our heads down and waiting for Santa! Wait, Santa? Is Santa really the reason for the season*? For kids maybe, but they'll grow up and know better, right? Maybe not. If we force feed Santa and gifts into their heads that is what they'll know- I'm thinking about ruining Santa for Bella early just so she will know what CHRISTmas is about. Give her a head start in learning about Jesus and what he's done for us. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE presents, but I'm not going to base my happiness of CHRISTmas day on what I get or how much I get. I want to see my family together, I want to see happy healthy hearts for Christ. We are so fortunate to have so much to look forward to on CHRISTmas day. We have our ham, turkey, presents, pies, family. Some people have nothing. They will drink the same dirty water, from the same dirty river, they will be hungry, with nothing to satisfy their need. If they are lucky they will get a pair of shoes, too small or to big, that will be theirs and that's all that will matter. As I explained how much we have to be grateful for and how little people actually had, it struck me how ignorant people can be, he told me that there were no people like that around us!! Really? There's nobody in need in Highlands County? At my Church we used to deliver food and presents to needy families in our area, there's alot! He blew off everything I said like that kind of stuff only happens in other countries, and it wasn't our problem! That Idea is so WRONG. Are we not all God's people? He calls us to give everything we have to the poor. And while nowa-days it seems crazy to be without our essentials; cell phone, computer, wii, ipad, we really place too much value on these things. Some people get excited to have one pair of knock-off brand tennis shoes that may not fit properly, or that are not in style. It really makes me question how I have spent my time and I'm lucky to come to all these realizations soon rather than later so I can make a change in my life. In my families life. IN OTHERS LIVES. I may not have an extraordinary amount of income, but I was sure to fill shoe boxes to be sent to kids who usually don't get anything. And while we should help out everyone, why not help out those in our own neighborhoods, schools, etc with their everyday needs?!

Be a Santa* to the needy- but let them, through you actions, see the face of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. I am thinking of ruining it for Eli too. I don't think it is really ruining anything though. Think about it, instead of giving them a false hope in someone who doesn't really exist we could give them a real hope, and faith in knowing our awesome savior Jesus Christ and focus on celebrating His birthday!:))

    ReplyDelete