Monday, December 20, 2010

Being Selfish

Selfishness is self-destruction. I put this on my facebook this morning and got a couple of "likes". It really got to me last night while we were eating dinner, you see my sister-in-law is in college out of town. She doesn't get to come home much, she's busy with work and school, friends, normal college-kid things. She will not be here for Christmas and she refuses to stop by and her grandmother and grandfather. They have asked to see her before she leaves and it will only be 10 min out of her way, but really. What is more important than family? (Especially during the Holidays) She claims to be "more mature" than the average 19 yr old but she really isn't. She goes out to clubs and bars to "hang out". How is that any different than any other college student? When you are so obsessed with self satisfaction and greed it ruins your life. Temporary happiness. Happy for a minute and quickly realizes that you need something else, and so consumed with yourself that you deserve it. Everyone likes getting presents, it makes you feel valued, good.  But when you flat out are nasty that you "better get this". It's disgusting. As kids and teens we all can have selfish moments, then we grow up. My sister-in-law is not the only selfish person out there. But it really makes me step back and look at my parenting. I give Bella whatever she wants (almost, I do say No) and though she's only two I still have time to instill value in her life, to teach her about giving not getting. But I would feel like a total failure as a parent, and totally disgusted if I saw her act the way I have seen people act in the past few months. You don't deserve anything. In life you work for what you want. *The only gift we need is Jesus and He's the only gift we don't have to work for.*  So step back, is it really mature to be selfish? No. It's childish. Makeup and clothes don't make the adult. Heart and character make the adult. But don't worry selfish teens of the world, you still have time.


A stingy man is eager to get rich and is unaware that poverty awaits him. Proverbs 28:22

Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless. Ecclesiastes 5:10





* Sorry if this blog sounds like venting- IT IS. I am so disgusted with the way people act over STUFF. Everybody wants STUFF> its great to have STUFF- this stuff won't get you to heaven. Remember what this life is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment