Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Wisdom

Proverbs 2: (1) My son, if you accept my words and store up  my commands within you, (2) turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, (5) then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. (6) For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. (9) Then you will understand what is right and just and fair- every good path. (10) For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. (11) Discretion will protect you, and understanding will gaurd you.

Solomon asks for wisdom:
When David knew he was about to die he called to his son Solomon, he told him to live faithfuly and obey all of commands God's so that God would keep his promise to him and there would always be a descendent of David on the throne of Israel.
Solomon went to Gibeon to offer sacrifices, there God appeared to him and said,
1 King 3: (5) "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." 
Solomon replied
(9) "So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?" (10) The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. (11) So God said to him, "Since you have not asked for this and not for a long life or wealth for yourself, nor have you asked for the deaths of your enemies but for discerninment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. (13) Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for- both riches and honor- so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. (14) And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life."

God is pleased by wisdom and faith. He will reward you for being a follower of him and making him your God above all gods. God blessed Solomon with defeat after defeat of all his enemies. I like to think if we ask God for wisdom and we follow his commands he will help us defeat the devil, and the desire to do evil. The Bible has many verses on wisdom, here's a few more.

Proverbs 3: (1) My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, (2) for they will prolong your life many years and bring your life prosperity.

Proverbs 16: (16) How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding than silver!

Proverbs 19: (20) Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise.
(27) Stop listening to instruction, my son, and you will stray from the words of knowledge.

Proverbs 23: (19) Listen, my son, and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path.

SO as you can see, God puts a big emphasis on being wise and listening to his commands. We will be eternally rewarded for doing his works and being wise in our ways and spreading his love and following his commands.

No comments:

Post a Comment