Friday, November 12, 2010

Thankful for the little things. Thankful for family.

I have been ungrateful in my life. Growing up when you're given whatever you want and get away with whatever you want you really cannot help it. As I got older I was much more appreciative for the things I had. All except my family. Sure I was thankful to have a mom and a dad, sometimes thankful for the two little pains I called my sisters. But I was never truly thankful to have a family together. And now more than ever I am thankful to have them all, I wish I could say I have them all together, but I don't.

I have a wonderful husband that I love and a daughter that means the world to me, along with a whole new family of in-laws, this will be my first holiday with their last name, kinda special. I do have a step dad that maybe one day we can have a close relationship, we are not there yet, but we'll get there. I have new half-brother that I love, Bella loves him too! My two sisters I appreciate more than I ever would have guessed; when you get older and move out, it seems you want to be home more than ever. Newly to my family I have a wonderful almost-step-mom, if that makes any sense, she makes my dad happy and that makes me happy. We've been able to have a good close relationship that I'm thankful for. Along with her, I have an almost-step-brother and an almost-step-sister. We all get along pretty well which is something to be thankful for if you've ever had step-family you didn't get along with.

It gets hard during the holidays to separate your time between 3 families. Someone will always feel left out or hurt, I'm hoping the Lord plans on giving me many more years on this earth to make up for what a pain I have been and to be more of a blessing to people around me that I love. And don't get me wrong, I would love to get everybody in my family together to have a big Thanksgiving or Christmas together, but unfortunately we cannot all get along always. I used to have a big part in that but everyday the Lord draws me near and dear to him and I am learning to forgive, myself and others.

Christmas gets hard, my husband and I work full time but we both make barely over minimum wage, so buying Christmas gifts for everyone gets hard. I know it's not about all the presents, but it's nice to let people know they mean a lot to you, and that you appreciate them.  I'm hoping no one is upset with the way Christmas plays out. But then think about all of the kids in orphanages, they will not get anything this holiday season, or even all year. I encourage everyone to get together with your church and donate food, clothes and toys, or anything you can to help out. It will make your more grateful and thankful, it will help your kids be more thankful, and it will show God's love to people who do not know him.

So in this season let us be thankful for the family and friends we have, and let us be thankful to the one who is behind every thing that we have. 

Psalm 100: 4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.

Psalms
118: 29 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for writing this :) It was a such an encouragement to read!

    ReplyDelete