Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Knowing What You Believe

I cannot stress how important it is to know what you believe. It's kinda like saying Blink 182 is your favorite band, yet you do not know the titles or words to their songs;you don't know they're names or past. When I say I have a favorite band I try to learn everything I can about them, why don't we do that with our religion? Is it more important to know the words to Adam's song than the words of a verse from the Bible? Your religion can define you as a person. It can make you a better person,, if you let it, or it can make you seem like a crazy. Well I went to church and they said it's okay to drink wine, so I believe what they believe. Really? You are willing to SAY you believe everything, even though you don't take the time to really read into it? What if that same church believed we should kill anyone who doesn't believe what we believe? Do you really believe?

It's become apparent to me that not everyone knows what they believe. Being a Christian the most important thing to believe in is that Jesus Christ died for our sins. You are saved by faith through grace alone. But any church can tell you that's what they believe. But if you believe in Jesus Christ you must believe that the Bible is the complete word of God. Everything in it is good and true. If you are saying you believe what this church says and they aren't telling you everything they believe things can get weird, fast. You would be shocked to find out what some religions hide, so they can seem "mainstream". They want numbers in their church and if they have to withhold some facts of their beliefs it's okay to them. It's not okay for me. I want to know if I'm joining a church/religion/cult, I want to know everything,. It's a big step joining a church. You are saying this is part of who I am. I believe what they teach, I believe what they believe. Wouldn't you want to know if you joined a church that said they believed this, but really they only believe it if it's written like this, or we kinda believe it, but this is really how we see it.

I read the Bible. I can't say I always read it daily, but I sure try to put as much time as my lazy self will allow me, I believe that what the Bible says is truth. I may not understand everything in it, but I look it up, ask questions, go to church, I dive into what I cannot comprehend, what I don't understand, so that I know when I say, "I believe in Christianity. I believe it all." That i really do believe it. I don't add or take away things to fit my life, to fit what I wish was or could be. If I believe in the WORD OF GOD> I BELIEVE IT COMPLETELY.  Read up on what your religion teaches and what they believe, make sure you believe. Read around and ask questions.


2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Psalm 119:160
All your words are true;
all your laws are eternal

1 comment: