Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Finding Time to Calm the Storm

So working in customer service, I have found, is far from the right job for me. And while I may be here until I finish school I am slowly learning some things I'm good at, and quite a few things I'm not. I'm an "emphasizer" I almost immediately feel someone's sadness, anger or joy and a tone of voice can either get you what you want or put you further away from it. I guess I'm not a people person. I thought I was. Thought wrong. I get phone calls 5 days a week, questions I cannot answer, people I cannot understand and voices that make me cry. When you are asking a question or asking for something, do you demand it? Or do you ask politely? People assume if they cannot get on the internet right away there's a tower down or it's out problem, FIX IT. I'm finding it very challenging to stay calm and treat these people with the respectful tone I'm supposed to keep. I don't believe the policy 'customer is always right', because they're not, they can be wrong, VERY WRONG> so how can I politely calm the storm? How can I be upfront and honest without being nasty? This balance is hard for me. I want to please people. I want everyone to be happy all the time, no problems, and I expect when there are problems, that people should understand. Stuff happens. Accidents are made, technology fails. We put so much dependence on computers, internet and phones, there will be times when they fail. When they don't work, or when WE can't work them.

We tend to get so wrapped up in the storm of life. It's pushing and pulling us in all directions. With greed and selfishness always in our minds it's hard to take the time to empathize, to apologize, and to understand. We can't always have what we want, when we want. I have found that is the way our society is these days. I can remember a time when we didn't have internet, or a computer for that matter. How did we communicate?! Dare I say phone or travel? Is it so much more convenient to be demanding? Treating the people, who may be taking your order or answering the phone, with disrespect and anger? Why can't we take the time to listen, understand and empathize in the situation. We jump to conclusions because we want answers and we want them now. You cannot always assume it's someone else's fault. Blame yourself first, others last. Take the time to see whats happening and why. This blog is directed to the people who make my day miserable. The people who cannot take the time to see if they are wrong, they jump on the phone and then at me. Please please please take the time to calm the storm. Whether you start it or your just in it.

Business is not just business. You have to have morals. Both parties have to be morally and ethically responsible in every situation. You cannot expect to always be right. Treat others with kindness. When I was a waitress a man that went to my church would come in with his family on Sundays. He did not recognize me, but I sure knew him. Inside the church he was polite, kind, talked to anyone. On Sundays at Beefs he was rude. Condescending. I always felt inferior to him. Like he knew he was better than me. Once he realized he knew me from church his attitude changed. But my view of him never will. He came into my place of business wanted my full attention, respect and service, but refused to treat me with common decency. I guess all y rambling comes down to this: I want to fully be able to serve others, I want to give them my respect and obedience, but when you demand things and treat others poorly you will have to wait. Jesus calls us to be kind all the time, just think of your waiting as time for us to cool down so we can treat you with kindness.Treat others how you want to be treated.


Proverbs 21: 23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity. 10 Drive out a mocker, and out goes strife; quarrels and insults are ended. 11 A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. 
17:14 Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.
18:2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights is airing his own opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment