Monday, February 28, 2011

John 14 Jesus leaves the Disciples

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing." Jesus in John 14:12

I have been over this hundreds of times in my head and I do not understand why it takes so many of us so long to grasp this; We believe in God. We believe he is the creator and God our father. We believe the only way to him is through his son Jesus Christ our Lord. I see many people, and I have done it too, we believe in our heads but it still doesn't change the way we live. Do we really believe?

This is a silly illustration but what the heck! During the presidential election, you probably looked into the different candidates, learned their past and what they want to accomplish in office, their morals, religious beliefs, etc. You then pick your candidate you will vote for and you will try to get your friends and family to believe he (or she) is the best choice and you should put your faith in them. We proactively act as tools in their campaign to bring people to them.

So why if we believe in Jesus Christ do we  just lay there. We act like doormats. We are not fully putting our faith in Christ. I know I'll have people jump on my back for this, like they have before, I get the argument "well all you need is faith in Christ and you will be saved," and I hate when people argue, "its not about getting other people to Christ, it's about growing in your walk with him."  How can we say it's just about us? If it were just about us why would we be called to serve others? To act as disciples of Christ to lead others to Him. ...."...will do what I have been doing." What had Jesus been doing? Miracles- okay so we can't really expect do perform the miracles Jesus did, but he treated people with unconditional love. He taught the word of God so that people could be saved through him. If we weren't meant to spread the word of God and reach out to people, it would have been pointless for Jesus to come. It would have been pointless for him to die. He came, He loved and He died. 


We are to do as Jesus did. We are to live as Jesus lived. We are to love as Jesus loved. 

John 14:21 "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me."
John 14:23 "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching." 

Jesus taught us to witness. It may be through prayer, through our actions, words or plainly the way we treat people. So make sure everyday you are living as a disciple of Christ. It's not always easy. There will always be good days and bad days, but what we have to look forward to is a life of unconditional love. An overflow of satisfaction. Grace and Mercy.

 




Do as Jesus did. We are to live as Jesus lived. We are to love as Jesus loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment