Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Stay Strong, Be Courageous

The Lord commands Joshua   (and so he commands us)

I was reading in Joshua last night, in between dancing and filling up juice cups with Bella, and thinking, "why in the world did i want to talk at youth? what am i thinking?" The truth is, is that I'm scared. I feel like I have so much to say and so much passion about Jesus and I'm scared I will go up there and be boring. I stutter when I'm nervous and reading out loud, and I know what I have to say I don't want to be so scared that I have to read my notes. I do have to use them as a guideline, I get off topic easily or loose my train of thought. Anyways, here I go again!

After Moses had died the Lord went to Joshua (Moses' aid's son) and told him he was to lead God's people across the Jordan River to take over the land that God had promised them. God tells Joshua that he will be with him like he was with Moses. Everything he promised Moses he will also promise him.

Joshua 1:7 Be strong and courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave to you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go.

9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

God will give us everything he promises, all we need to do is obey. Go and do his will. We will be living a a life of purpose and meaning. We can only have true strength when we have God. We can't be strong on our own. We have emotions that complicate our life's situations and we so easily fall into temptation.

Don't think that the Lord stopped commanding or promising with Joshua. He has made promises to us and we can only receive what he has promised when we obey him, when we obey the Commandments. We are not forced into believing in Christ and accepting him as our savior, but if we don't, we loose everything God has promised to us!


So Wednesday night here I come. I have been commanded not to be afraid, but to look to God. I will be strong and I will be courageous; because I know that wherever I go, there you are.





(If you haven't read the book of Joshua, the people wanted what God promised, but O so quickly they fell off his path. They disobeyed, they had to be put back on the path. But don't just take my word for it, read it yourself, it makes a huge difference in the way you believe!)

1 comment: